It will take creativity and persistence by Texas political reporters and their editors to get key Texas GOP leaders on the record so that they can be held accountable as the Trump-Russia collusion scandal plays out.
Texas GOP Leaders Who Should Speak Up Now
All of the following Texas GOP Statewide and congressional leaders are now Trump loyalists while also holding some of the most powerful political positions in the country. Texans deserve to hear from them on the Trump-Russia collusion indictments and guilty plea.
- Governor Greg Abbott: Abbott’s passive aggressive style bends easily to the overbearing blowhard Donald Trump.
- Lt. Governor Dan Patrick: Patrick more reflects than compliments Donald Trump. Like Trump, Patrick uses political theatrics, distraction and half-truths to drive an ideological agenda.
- Senator John Cornyn: Cornyn is the second ranking leader in the U.S. Senate and a crucial Trump apologist and enabler.
- Senator Ted Cruz: Cruz was the runner-up to Trump for the GOP Presidential nomination. Even though Trump launched vicious personal attacks that extended to Cruz’s wife and even his elderly father, Cruz has swallowed all pride and become a docile Trump defender.
Seven Texas Members of Congress sit as full committee Chairs:
- Kevin Brady (CD8 – Woodlands) – Chair, House Ways and Means Committee
- Mike Conaway (CD11 – Midland) – Chair, House Agriculture Committee
- Jeb Hensarling (CD5 – Dallas) – Chair, House Financial Services Committee
- Mike McCaul (CD10 – West Lake Hills) – Chair, Homeland Security Committee
- Pete Sessions (CD32 – Dallas) – Chair, House Rules Committee
- Lamar Smith (CD21 – San Antonio) – Chair, House Science and Space Committee
- Mac Thornberry (CD13 – Clarendon) – Chair, House Armed Services Committee